spousal sponsorship

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
i wanna say that i do REGRET what i did that got me deported. you said that proving that one has regret or remorse is difficult. is it difficult or impossible to prove then?
Well obviously it's impossible to truly prove. It's more about convincing the officer that you have reformed. That's the focus.

something else that i wanna ask you is this i got convicted in december 2009 in a texas state courthouse. an immigration lawyer told me that i have to wait 10 years plus another 4 years because of the 4 year probation sentence in writing. why the extra 4 years if you dont mind me asking? why?
The 10 year inadmissibility starts at the end of your sentence, i.e. at the end of your probation. That's why.

richard

ok what can i do in the mean time while i wait? this is what i mean, do you think that i should get a trade or skill or figure out what other way to qualify for PR? nothing to do with the criminal application. what can i do while i wait but only for the part on under what category i qualify for PR? rsvp

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing you can do, since you're waiting a really long time, is to wait. I don't think it's worth even assembling the testimonials and other information, as they will probably be viewed as being out of date by the time you are eligible for rehabilitation.

In terms of PR, you need to be a skilled worker. So you should work on that.

richard

ok but then why do you make reference that only a skilled worker classification would or might be the only or best way for me to qualify for PR then? what makes you make this and maybe only assumption.............???????? can you please explain. rsvp

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
There are only a couple of different ways you can come to Canada:
  • Express Entry: as a skilled worker, skilled tradesperson or person with Canadian work experience in (a usually skilled) occupation (this is the way students and temporary workers eventually can become PRs)
  • Live-in Caregiver: came as a temporary live-in caregiver, worked here long enough to qualify for PR
  • Provincial Nominee: varies by province, is often combined with Express Entry (so similar qualifications)
  • Refugee - live here long enough as a refugee to qualify for PR
  • Spousal sponsorship.
And that's pretty much it. That's why I focus on "skilled worker."

richard

but why on the canadian government website it mentions different numerous ways in which one can qualify? for example, startup visa, business investors, self employed individuals, immigrant investors, ect............ http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp does canada have this, http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-500000-is-enough-get-investment-based-green-card-eb-5.html why do you think that skilled worker might be the best way to go for me since it seems that youre insinuating it??????????????????? rsvp

richard

but how can you have such absolute certainty? when you say the vast majority of people are you saying like easily 80% or more???????????? i think your information is actually pretty good but it lacks substance. what i mean is that you say stuff but without much backing up.......... how can you have such a strong conviction that at least in my case that the skilled worker category would be the best way to go about obtaining PR? so youre saying this would be the best option in my case or most ideal? have you explored other options to come to this conclusion in my case that maybe its the best way for me to try and get PR? what about the startup visa option? but why do you think that skilled worker is best for me in my particular case? how does a border officer look like???? do you think that there have been other people who have been deported from the u.s. with the same case as me and who have successfully passed the criminal application???? what do you think might be harder in my case, the criminal application or the PR qualification? if you said border officers make the decision on the spot for the criminal application, do they take their time or go through things like crazy? rsvp

richard

the ones in this paragraph that went unanswered, but how can you have such absolute certainty? when you say the vast majority of people are you saying like easily 80% or more???????????? i think your information is actually pretty good but it lacks substance. what i mean is that you say stuff but without much backing up.......... how can you have such a strong conviction that at least in my case that the skilled worker category would be the best way to go about obtaining PR? so youre saying this would be the best option in my case or most ideal? have you explored other options to come to this conclusion in my case that maybe its the best way for me to try and get PR? what about the startup visa option? but why do you think that skilled worker is best for me in my particular case? how does a border officer look like???? do you think that there have been other people who have been deported from the u.s. with the same case as me and who have successfully passed the criminal application???? what do you think might be harder in my case, the criminal application or the PR qualification? if you said border officers make the decision on the spot for the criminal application, do they take their time or go through things like crazy? rsvp

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
but how can you have such absolute certainty? when you say the vast majority of people are you saying like easily 80% or more????????????
I don't have the stats in front of me, but most people who become permanent residents become permanent residents through a work-experience stream, or through spousal sponsorship.

so youre saying this would be the best option in my case or most ideal?
I don't remember what you do for a living so I am not sure. But it's the way most people can immigrate to Canada.

how does a border officer look like?
I don't know what this means, but there are two departments who deal with people coming to Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Canada Border Services Agency. The former deal with immigration - such as you trying to get PR - the latter deal with entry - such as you dealing with your inadmissibility.

do you think that there have been other people who have been deported from the u.s. with the same case as me and who have successfully passed the criminal application?
I'm sure there have been but I have no idea.

what do you think might be harder in my case, the criminal application or the PR qualification?
I don't have enough information, but if you become "rehabilitated" through time, it's easier than if you try to get rehabilitated before you're "deemed rehabilitated." How difficult your PR case will be depends on the stream you intend to apply through, among many other things. It's essentially an unanswerable question.

if you said border officers make the decision on the spot for the criminal application, do they take their time or go through things like crazy?
They do, if you apply at the border. I have no idea how long they take. I've never done one, as I am a Canadian citizen and I don't have a criminal record.

richard

what does this mean, I don't have enough information, but if you become "rehabilitated" through time, it's easier than if you try to get rehabilitated before you're "deemed rehabilitated. rsvp

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As I have said before, how long it takes you to get rehabilitated depends on the conviction and the sentence. Certain (very) minor convictions do not require rehabilitation. Other convictions require a waiting period of 5 years before applying. At that point, a person may be "deemed rehabilitated" without having to actually prove they are. The same is true for some more serious convictions and the 10 year waiting period. And then there are convictions which are serious enough that you are never "deemed" rehabilitated and have to apply for rehabilitation.